This training begins on November 30, 2023. Register at the bottom of this page.
Gestalt Therapy Part One
The central concern of Gestalt Therapy is awareness. That is, a live and immediate grasp of our present situation, in context, that provides a coherent, holistic understanding of our situation and our own/others’ needs.
According to Gestalt Therapy theory, a lack of awareness leads to suffering: diminishment, rigidity, impulsivity, chaos, numbness. Increased awareness leads to self-confidence, competence, connection, spontaneity, creativity, satisfaction, and a smoother flow of life.
In Gestalt, “Awareness” is not about “common sense,” nor is it a privileging of the therapist’s awareness above that of the client. Instead, the Gestalt therapist engages the client in a co-exploration of phenomenological processes that includes dialogue, experimentation, and an authentic relationship between two fellow human beings.
Through a combination of lecture, discussion, experiential exercises, and experiential practice, this course introduces participants to the most fundamental building blocks of gestalt therapy: Contact, awareness, figure/ground, the here & now.
What: A foundational course on Gestalt Therapy
When: Fall 2023. Thursday, from 9am to 12:15pm. Here are the dates:
- November 30th
- December 7th, 14th, 21st
GETME Experiential Process Studio
615 Congress Street
Portland, ME, 04101
- Students and Conditionally Licensed Therapists: $295
- Fully Licensed Therapists: $345
Instructor: Tom Kubasik, LCPC
A certificate of 12 contact hours of continuing education will be provided upon completion of the program.
This course will help participants to:
- Describe phenomena of concern in gestalt therapy, such as “Contact,” “Awareness,” and “Gestalt.”
- Track client gestalt formation processes.
- Differentiate “Here & Now” work from “There & Then” work.
- Utilize one’s own own awareness process for therapeutic gain.
- Meeting 1: Introduction to Gestalt Therapy
- Meeting 2: Here & Now
- Meeting 3: Contact & Awareness
- Meeting 4: Gestalt: Figure & Ground
Contact, Awareness: Gestalt Registration Form: