This is the follow-up course to Foundations of Emotion-Focused Therapy. If the advanced empathic skills taught in Foundations help the clinician to accurately land with the client in their immediate experiencing, this is a course on staying with that experience. This means carefully and sensitively facilitating contact with various experiential elements, including sensory perception, narrative, meaning, bodily-felt sense, emotion, need, and action tendency.
The course is comprised of lecture, discussion, demonstration, and lots of experiential practice.
- Schematic Emotional Memories
- Systematic Evocative Unfolding
- Experiential Focusing
- Empathic Affirmation
- Relationship Ruptures
- Trauma-Related Considerations
What: A course on facilitating the deepening of client experiencing.
When: Thursday mornings, from from 9:00am to 12:15pm:
- February 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd,
- March 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd.
Where: 615 Congress Street, STE 423, Portland, ME, 04101
Note: It is hoped that this training will be offered in-person. Click here to see our Covid-19 protocols for pivoting to mask requirements/Zoom.
Instructor: Tom Kubasik, LCPC, NCC
- Student of Conditionally Licensed: $495
- Fully Licensed: $595
A deposit of $95 dollars is required to hold your space.
A certificate of 24 Contact Hours will be issued following completion of this course.
This workshop is designed to help you:
- Recognize client material that, if focused on, will tend to be most therapeutically productive.
- Access client emotional pain, along with attendant needs & adaptive strengths.
- Utilize therapeutic tasks to safely process emotional experience.
- Manage intense vulnerability, trauma reactions, and client-therapist relationship ruptures.
Meeting 1: Finding a Focus
Meeting 2: Unfolding the Moment
Meeting 3: Unfolding (continued)
Meeting 4: Experiential Focusing
Meeting 5: Focusing (continued)
Meeting 6: Empathic Affirmation
Meeting 7: Trauma-Specific Considerations
Meeting 8: Relationship Ruptures